Red Zone Discussion Forum

Capstone Project-Red Zone

Capstone Project-Red Zone

by Courtney Daunt -
Number of replies: 5

Bungee M&M

1) The objective of this lesson is for the students to conduct, measure and record the distance a "bungee" cup will travel with varying weight (the number of m&m's in the cup).  The students will be expected to test and then graph their ordered pairs on a coordinate plane with the Weight (# of m&m’s) on the horizontal axis and the Distance (cm) on the vertical axis. They will be required to know how to label their graph and plot their points accurately.

2) The students will be set up in small groups of 3-4 students.  They will be graded using a rubric http://rubistar.4teachers.org/index.php?screen=ShowRubric&module=Rubistar&rubric_id=2409412&

3) The students will be recognized through their use of the rubric.  They will be able to rate themselves individually, and as a group.  Each person will be awarded with a certificate of acheivement, once they have successfully completed their testing and graphing.

Certificate

4) In order for the students to collaborate effectively, they will need to understand and use the rubric both individually, and as a team.  It is also my goal, that as a class we have an edmodo account set up.  This would allow the students the ability to communicate while they were outside the classroom setting.

In reply to Courtney Daunt

Re: Capstone Project-Red Zone

by Kay Hauck -

Courtney, you are on the right track in incorporating technology in your lesson.  Edmodo would be a great way for them to collaborate in understanding the rubric.  My suggestion would be for you to prompt them in Edmodo with specific questions about the rubric to respond back to in order to asses their understanding.

In reply to Kay Hauck

by Pam Micko -

I opened an account with Edmodo but neglected to give my students the password to get in and now the 14 days has expired. I will contact the site and see what to do.

by Debbie Reid -
Courtney this is a very well thought out lesson. It allows for a variety of learning styles, cooperation, and on-line tools. I also liked how you had a rubric for the students to grade themselves and the group. It will makes students think of more then just their contribution to the project.

by Amy Klopf -

This lesson is well on its way to full development. I would like to see the use of technology with the use of the data collection software like a simple spreadsheet or app.

by Kyle Carter -

Have you considered using technology to track distances thrown?  Perhaps students could use their personal electronic devices to download a free app to help them keep track of information.  

An opportunity to put their phones/ipods to academic use would really spark their interest.