Red Zone Discussion Forum

Capstone Project Lesson

Capstone Project Lesson

by Debbie Reid -
Number of replies: 4

The objective for my Capstone Project Lesson is for the students to be able to compare/contrast the role of President and School Principal.  The students will think, pair, and share as a class to come up with the similarites and differences between these two roles.  We will fill out a classroom Venn Digram to list the similiarites and differences.  (I teach Kindergarten).  The technology I will use in my lesson is projector and computer.  We will watch a grade appropriate video of the role of president and also read a book on the subject.  We will use the classroom visualizer/projector to create the Venn Digram.  The reward feedback will be done verbally by me.  If anyone has any further suggestions on how I can incorporate more technolgy, it would be appreicated.

In reply to Debbie Reid

Re: Capstone Project Lesson

by Courtney Daunt -

Debbie,

I like the idea of comparing and contrasting these two roles.  I think it's a great way to expand on something they know alot about (the principal) and showing them how the leadership roles can be alike, and different.  I also like the use of the venn diagram.  Incorporating technology in useful ways can be very tricky.  Would it be possible to includ clickers into the lesson, and maybe doing a "pretest" to check their understanding or knowledge of the roles that both a president and school principal are accountable for?  Not sure if that fits into what they want for this part of the lesson.  But it may be a good way to see where the students are on their understanding. 

In reply to Debbie Reid

by Amy Klopf -

Great use of think-mapping at the kindergarten level. As for the technology, you may want to try finding a digital copy of your mentor text or find some time to record the pages ahead of time. This would allow for students to go back to the story after the lesson is complete. Audio recording your voice or that of an upper elementary school student also allows for connections to the text.

In reply to Debbie Reid

by Amber Schlappi-Bloss -

Using the book in an electronic format is fun and something different for the children, if you can find a book you like electronically.  Will the students be able to help type in some of the similarities/differences in the diagram to give them access to using the computer? Using ClassDojo for the kindergarteners might be fun to give badges to use for the reward feedback for this and other lessons too.

In reply to Debbie Reid

by Kyle Carter -

This sounds like a fun lesson.
I'm not actually sure what is easily done/age appropriate with Kindergarten, but it might be neat to project the Venn onto the whiteboard, and then have students use sticky-notes to place items about the President/principal physically to the diagram.