Conversations about the Capstone Activity: Administering an Online Assessment

Amber Schlappi Bloss-Sample Assessment

Amber Schlappi Bloss-Sample Assessment

by Amber Schlappi-Bloss -
Number of replies: 2

I integrated technology by using Google Forms and had 4 of my Algebra 2 drop in students complete the assessment.  We are working on Radical Expressions: Adding, Subtracting, Dividing, Multiplying and simplifying.  I used two mulitple choice questions and 3 "show your work and answer it" questions.

The students did NOT like taking the assessment online because of the having to use scrap paper still to work out the problems.  I probably should have chosen a different topic, but that was what all 4 were dealing with, so figured that was the only way I would get them to take this sample assessment.  This close to break, it is a push to have them do extra work, even 5 questions!

I liked having it online as they could do it when they wanted to do it while they were here.  When it is on paper, I make them all start at the same time to work through it.  I liked the less paper, less messy work having it turned in online.

In reply to Amber Schlappi-Bloss

Re: Amber Schlappi Bloss-Sample Assessment

by Courtney Daunt -

I can see the frustration with still having to use scrap paper.  I've always needed to see what I'm doing.  I think even if there was an application that allowed you to do that on the computer screen, I'd still have a hard time with it.  There's something about actually writing the information out, that helps me!  It would be nice to not always have that clutter of paper though.

In reply to Amber Schlappi-Bloss

Re: Amber Schlappi Bloss-Sample Assessment

by Kyle Carter -

I imagine math might be one of the hardest subjects to assess online.  I've worked some with online learning courses (in Plato, to be specific), and kids have a very hard time completing and showing their work online.  When one small error in one step can throw off an entire calculation, assessments that are scored by the computer can be very unforgiving.