Item/Task Specification Review

Amber Schlappi Bloss

In reply to Amber Schlappi-Bloss

Re: Amber Schlappi Bloss

by Kyle Carter -

You have a lot going on here.  I feel like your question does a good job of addressing the target.  I am wondering though, would students have been introduced to the CARS evaluation chart before hand?  If not, a misunderstanding of the chart might result in not answering the question correctly.

Also, I love the tree octopus website.  Is the site satire? Or does it exist for the purpose of showing off non-credible sources?

In reply to Kyle Carter

by Amber Schlappi-Bloss -

I am pretty sure that site was set up as an example of a Hoax site, we went over it in one of my other tech courses and thought it would be good for students to check out.

I was thinking that students would have been exposed to the CARS chart and we had used it previously in class also before they would get this question. I thought about not including the actual chart, but I figured it would help them remember and why not include it!  Maybe it looks too confusing though...

Thanks for the feedback!

by Courtney Daunt -

This looks like an interesting activity for the students.  It seems like it takes some understanding of the CARS table, and being able to apply that understanding to another source.  My only critique would be, on the selected response choices, I thought it was best to stay away from "all the above" or multiple choice options like you had stated?  I thought it stated in order to create less confusion it was best to stay away from those.  This might be a great activity to have a constructed response with a rubric as well because I'm sure students would have some interesting claims as to what they consider fraudulent etc.

by Amy Klopf -

Amber,

Your assessment with the use of CARS works well with what you are wanting to assess from your students. Would there be at any time that you would ask them for an explanation or maybe ask them to find a site that does follow the CARS model as a reliable site?