Blue Zone Discussion Forum

Capstone Blue Zone-

Capstone Blue Zone-

by Amber Schlappi-Bloss -
Number of replies: 3

BLUE ZONE Strategies--Extending and Applying Knowledge

Select one or more of theBLUE ZONEcategories. Explain how you will incorporate this category of best practice into the lesson. Use the information you provided in the Blue Zone Discussion forum to help you complete this section. Indicate how you and/or your students will use technology to help extend and apply knowledge in one or both of the last two sections.

IDENTIFYINGSIMILIARITIES AND DIFFERENCES: (What comparing/classifying, use of metaphors/analogies can you bring into the lesson?)

I would like the students to compare/contrast some of the different types of digital media available to present their information.  Why did they feel a brochure is better than a poster or Prezi is better suited than Glogster to present their topic.

GENERATING AND TESTING HYPOTHESES:  (Explain how students will be involved in one of the four types of activities in Generating and Testing Hypotheses)

I had a hard time here, but I am saying they will be involved in Problem Solving, which was defined as “The process of overcoming barriers/constraints that are in the way of achieving goals.”  My hopes would be these community resource directories will allow students to start overcoming their barriers so they can reach their goal of high school completion AND being a good parent, worker, etc.

Complete a Tracking an Enquiry Chart on Exploratree (this is only a quick example, not filled out completely.)  Here is the link for a blank template.

Teacher Use of Technology:

laptop, prior knowledge of various media, Exploratree Tracking an Enquiry example 

Student Use of Technology:

laptop, prior knowledge of various media, Exploratree Tracking an Enquiry Chart

In reply to Amber Schlappi-Bloss

Re: Capstone Blue Zone-

by Kyle Carter -

I like this use of an enquiry chart, and its application to the world of alternative ed. (or at least I think I remeber that's your area).

Perhaps helping students to discovery community resources "on their own" will get them to take advantage of the resources.

by Courtney Daunt -

I like your use of the Enquiry Chart.  It's a great way to lay out their thoughts and findings.  It always helps to have a format to get you started.

by Amy Klopf -

Your Enquiry Chart is a great visual for students to follow when finding supporting evidence. It will allow students to have a strategy for organizing their thoughts. Using Exploratree is an innovative tool that seems easy to use.