Orange Zone Discussion Forum

orange zone

orange zone

by Pam Micko -
Number of replies: 0

Orange zone

Cues, question, and advanced organizers.

At the beginning of the unit on the urinary system prior to students arriving I placed a vial on each table containing what appeared to be a urine specimen.

When students arrived I asked them to view the vials and tell me what they could possibly tell about the patient by looking at the specimen (it was really power aid drink) For example if it where cloudy in appearance this could indicate a bladder infection, if there was visible blood present, if the urine had an unusual color or odor.  The students responded with answers such as if it is could indicated infection if it had a sweet odor could indicate diabetes.  This generated a lot of questions.

I also gave each table what I call the question of the day. This is a 4x4 card with a question regarding something they learned the previous class. Each table is given 3-5 min to discuss it with their peers and then must answer the question. I use this as a review of the prior lesson and to reinstate the knowledge in their minds.

At the end of each class I give each student another 4x4 card on which they are to write 3,2,1 questions

3 things they learned in class that day

2 things they learned that they have questions about

1 thing they would like to learn that is related to that day’s topic

This gives me feedback on their understanding of the day’s lesson, what I need to revisit or expand upon

Non-linguistic representation

I create and present a Prezi presentation for each body system we are covering. I also have an anatomy mannequin model in the class for students to use as a visual. They can take it apart to view the various body systems. I also show You tube video clips on each system and a teacher tube video is on their Edmodo site for them to view. 

Assignment and practice provided

A math sheet is handed out and math problems are when over on the white board with the class.

Then another math sheet handed out for them to do independently in class. They are to raise their hand if they need assistance. They may take the math sheet home to finish if they do not finish it in class.

A YouTube and a Teacher Tube videos are posted students are assigned to view them. Also their medical terminology terms for each unit are in Quizlet the link is posted on the class Edmodo site.