Conversations about the Capstone Activity: Administering an Online Assessment

Online Assessment

Online Assessment

by Courtney Daunt -
Number of replies: 2

I was rushed for time, and decided to use something I was very familiar with, PowerPoint.  I did a simple math assessment with my preschoolers where I had the numbers 1-5 that the students had to count the pictures on the screen and identify the correct number. 

The only drawback was if the students didn't click directly on the link that took them to the correct/incorrect screen, the students got thrown off.  They did enjoy the pictures and noise that it made when they were correct.  It was a fun alternative to number cards etc.

In reply to Courtney Daunt

Re: Online Assessment

by Kyle Carter -

While PowerPoint might not have been what we were "supposed" to use, the link-clicking issue you encountered sounds like an issue that could come up with any program.  

The "I clicked the wrong button" problem is one of my largest concerns when it comes to online assessments.  What do you tell the kid who takes a high-stakes test, and misses a question because his/her finger slipped?  

"Oh well, be more careful next time" ?

In reply to Courtney Daunt

Re: Online Assessment

by Amy Klopf -

Great use of PowerPoint with younger students. There are times that even older students get thrown off when things don't work well. The use of pictures and noises are another excellent way to keep students engaged in the assessment.